Monday, January 11, 2010

To Remembering...

Because it's oh-so-easy to forget.

I don't know why this seems to be sticking with me right now. Maybe it's the book I'm reading- Kiss by Ted Dekker and some other author (I'll look it up later). A girl looses her memory and is torn between trying to figure out her past at all costs or just looking forward. And the message (so far) seems to be that your history is important.
{it's a good book, maybe not my favorite of Ted Dekker's but it gives you enough of an idea where it's taking you but not enough where you can have a logical guess--- interesting but also somewhat infuriating}

Anyways, point being, I feel like I forget things so easily. Good things. Bad things.
Things that have made me who I am and brought me to where I am today.
My best friend when I was 3.
My decision to stick with Spanish throughout school.
My intensely shy period.
The time I decided a guy was worth breaking some rules for.
My hippie time period.
That time I let myself not care about anything.
The days I felt like crying constantly.
My time with different groups of friends.
My art stage.

Why is it so easy to forget?
And why do some people push us to forget?
So much of this world seems to say "the past is in the past, it doesn't affect me."

I agree with the first part.

The past is obviously in the past.
(it'd be trippy if it was in the future)
But it does affect me.
It has had a hand in molding me into who I am today.
Good or bad.

{There are many verses where God commands the Israelites to set up monuments or days of remembrance so that they would do just that- remember. A fight God won for them. A time they turned away.}

Now if I can only remember to remember...

1 comment: